Streaming is the method of delivering the video or audio contents over the internet. Live streaming of aerial videos is one of the hottest trends in sports, events, content creation and music industry. It is due to the increasing popularity of drones and advances in drone and drone filming technologies. There is a huge demand for aerial videos, and filmmaking and short-film industries, are thriving on the advances in consumer drone technology. Alta Definizione
However, how can we make videos and how to stream them and most importantly, how to make money out of them. In this article, I discuss some of these issues and explain how to setup a video streaming system, and how to earn money from our video contents. What equipment should you use, what software are available and pros and cons of various platforms and services available to us for video streaming and marketing?
The demand for aerial videos:
Aerial videos are in huge demand in almost every sector of life. People love to see the aerial views of sports and events from some unusual angles. Before consumer drones, it was extremely expensive to make such videos. However, now it is dirt cheap to get some amazing aerial views. Also, agricultural imaging and industrial inspection of large structures are some other areas where aerial videos are being used.
The application for Live Streaming of aerial videos:
The drone owners can use their FPV (first person view) and VR (Virtual Reality) types of headsets to see some amazing outdoors when flying their drones. Now imagine that with live streaming of those videos, thousands of other people can experience the same effects from the comfort of their home. It is the experience people want to have. You can fly your drone and share the view with thousand others.
Another wide scope application is the streaming of industrial inspection videos to the control rooms and boardrooms of plants and companies. It is usually carried out by small drone companies offering these services. This area of video streaming has an enormous potential, and in future, we can expect a tremendous growth in this sector.
Other applications include political and religious event streaming to show the aerial view of the gatherings. Also, news channels are using live streamings for important events. Similarly, people want to stream the videos of their weddings to someone not attending and so on.
Aerial Live Streaming setup
You can use a helicopter for aerial photography, but we are talking about a cheaper version, so here we only discuss drones. Live streaming from drones is still a novel technology. Some of the considerations for aerial live streaming are following:
- Live streaming services:
The first thing you want to decide is where you want to live-stream your drone videos. Some of the live streaming services are YouTube Live, ustream, LivestreamTwitter’s periscope and Facebook live streaming service.
- The drone camera: Some cameras output the videos in a generic way, but you need a drone with a camera which gives a clean HDMI output to be able to use live streaming services. If your camera does not provide a clean HDMI output, you would have to find a suitable adapter.
- Then you need an encoder which takes HDMI and transmits it on the internet.
- There are two main protocols used by streaming services. RTMP (Real-Time Messaging Protocol) and RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol). Have a look at the appropriate one for your service because your choice of the encoder depends on it. There is also HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) where you divide the video file into small segments and deliver it to a player via HTTP protocol.
- The broadcast standard (ATSC, NTSC, PAL, or SECAM) is another consideration while streaming drone videos on any of the services. You would need to stick with the specifications the service demand. Just look at the technical specification section on their website.
- Another consideration is the ability to transcode (in other broadcasting standards) and the latency of the platform (the delay in transmission) you are using.